TopScore is seeking a Backend Developer to join our growing team of sports enthusiasts. You will be responsible for our entire cloud server stack and should have experience with revenue-generating systems in production. You are writing solid, heavily trafficked, production quality code and understand high level software and system architecture. Join us in revolutionizing how sports and activities are organized.
TopScore is a rapidly growing software-as-a-service company that provides modern solutions for sport and activity organizers. We process tens of millions of dollars in registrations and purchases for hundreds of organizations in dozens of countries.
TopScore is an atypical company in several regards:
- We judge you entirely by what you produce. We don’t care how long you work, where you work, how you work or what credentials you have. We care about what you get done.
- We are extremely transparent, flat, and open-minded. While you will have clearly delineated responsibilities, you are welcome and encouraged to contribute beyond those areas. We judge ideas and results, not ranks and titles.
- We strongly believe in “skin-in-the-game” and aligning incentives. We want people to invest in us just as we invest in them. All TopScore team members are granted a stake in the company.
- We believe that great results can only come from great people. If you’re interested in working with people who are exceptionally bright, creative, and diligent, TopScore is a strong choice.
About the Position
The Backend Developer will be responsible for the continued development of the TopScore platform, which will include dev ops responsibilities, backend work and also a bit of front-end. This includes:
- Owning our dev ops process, including managing AWS instances
- Working closely with other developers following the Scrum methodology
- Investigating and correcting issues
- Help identify better practices, tools, and relevant trends
Our backend is written in PHP inspired by Symfony, and the front-end uses modern frameworks such as React. We have automated testing and deployment and run entirely on cloud services.
This is a full-time position.
Compensation commensurate with experience and ability.
- Ability to solve complex problems with simple code. TopScore is not a simple application, but we try our hardest to power it with simple code. Your job is not just to solve problems, but to solve problems in a way that will last and can easily be picked up by other people.
- Knack for user experience and design. Our user base ranges from soccer moms to several-hours-a-day power users. You'll need an ability to understand how to create solutions that work for both.
- Reliable and independent. We expect a lot out of you, but we won't keep tabs on you. You must thrive in that kind of environment.
- No specific degree, credential, or age requirements - If you can do the work, we don't care how you got the skills. With that in mind, however, personal project portfolios are a plus.
- We're not particularly concerned with what technologies you've used. This is because we're less concerned with immediate productivity than with your ability to play a driving role in the long-term experience of TopScore.
- Live in the Pittsburgh or San Francisco Bay Area, or are willing to move - we are sometimes willing to relax this requirement if you are willing to move within some period of time after starting, or you're so damn good that you make us forget about it.
Do not hesitate to apply even if none of the following bonus points describe you:
- You are involved in organized sports and activities.
- You have used the TopScore platform in an administrative capacity.
- You have used the TopScore platform in a player capacity.
If you have further questions before applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org